The Delano Police Department works very hard to provide services and programs to our community, while making every effort to practice fiscally sound methods of providing these programs and services. We work smart and deploy our staff based on calls for service and when crime usually occurs based on our crime analysis. We are able to move quickly when sporadic crime occurs, effectively evaluating known information to bring these crimes to a quick and positive conclusion.
This Department actively seeks out grant funding, and other sources of funding that will aid us in providing the best quality service to our community. Below are some of our major accomplishments during the last twelve months, as well as some of our on-going projects at the Police Department:
- $168,000.00 Law Enforcement Response to Terrorism (LERT) grant. This grant funding provided needed first responder equipment such as protective equipment for the officers; radio and computer equipment; rapid deployment shelters, and, Community Response Unit tactical entry tools.
- $60,000.00 Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program (CEDAP) grant for terrorist tracking equipment.
- $10,000 Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control 2006 Grant (07/01/06-06/31/07) used for minor equipment and overtime. The grant paid for ABC related operations including Shoulder Tap, Decoy Operations, undercover Bar Stings, and ABC licensee inspections.
- $10,000 Office of Traffic Safety May 2007 Mini Grant: Click it or Ticket. Used for overtime seat belt enforcement.
- $60,000 Office of Traffic Safety 2007 Grant. Used for major equipment and overtime. The grant pays for overtime traffic operations such as DUI Checkpoints, DUI Saturations, Speed Saturations, Pedestrian Safety Saturations, Racing Saturations, and education of the general public regarding the dangers of driving while intoxicated.
- $15,000 Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control 2007 Grant (07/01/07-06/31/08). Used for minor surveillance equipment and overtime. The grant will pay for ABC related operations including Should Tap, Decoy Operations, undercover Bar Stings, Party Patrol, and ABC licensee inspections.
- The Delano Police Department has completed a study through WLC Architects, Inc., which included a needs assessment, space study, and exploration of available options. Construction of the new Police Facility is scheduled to begin December 2011 at the old Kmart site located at 2310 High Street.
- The Delano Police Department, due to size constraints, recently had three 12’ x 60’ modular building installed at Lexington and 11th. Once completed, these connected modulars will be the temporary home for the Department’s Criminal Investigations Division.
- Dispatch Upgrades is completed. This program, which is funded through State of California funds, will provide new equipment to our dispatchers so that they will better be able to serve our community. The total cost of this project is $100,000.00.
- During mid-2006, the Department underwent a minor facelift. The interior received a new coat of paint; new flooring; added service windows, and new cabinets in the briefing room. This project, which cost about $11,000.00, was funded with asset seizure money, which are not City funds.